The Club’s Training and Development Policy and Risk Management Policy reflect the high importance we place on providing effective training and encouraging safety consciousness and self-reliance in our members. 

Checking Map DGOOur safety record - The Club has maintained an excellent safety record over its long history. Bushwalking skills and knowledge passed to members generally, and especially to our activity leaders, help ensure we maintain the best and safest walking experiences.

Our training opportunities – These begin with a prospective member’s Introductory Walk. Existing members are strongly encouraged and assisted to continue developing their bushwalking skills, such as leadership, risk management, first aid, navigation (map and compass, and GPS) and multi-day walking. The Club Committee (members only) includes a position for a Training & Safety Officer who has responsibility to coordinate the training and safety program for members.

Personal responsibility - The Club expects you as a member to:

  1. Take personal responsibility to ensure: a) that you have suitable skills and knowledge to participate safely in the Club's bushwalking program (e.g. awareness of risks such as bushfire, dehydration, and injury and how to manage them); and b) that you are able to contribute effectively to the group's safety while on an activity.
  2. Make the most of our activities and training opportunities to improve and expand your bushwalking skills and self-reliance. Members are supported in maintaining first aid qualifications with subsidies available from the Club. Internal Club training courses are mostly free to members or heavily subsidised.

Am I covered by insurance?

Bushwalking Australia organises a National Insurance Scheme providing Public Liability, Personal Accident and Associations Liability Insurance cover to clubs affiliated with the peak body in their home state. This includes the Perth Bushwalkers Club, and a percentage of your membership fee goes towards the cost of these insurances. 

See the FAQs below for further information: (this summarises what is covered)

Does the club's Personal Accident Insurance policy cover transport by ambulance?

Quote: "This is a complex topic as ambulance service arrangements, including charging of fees for ambulance transport, varies from state to state.

If you are a resident of Queensland or Tasmania and require ambulance transport in your home state, you will not generally be charged a fee. If you are a resident of any of the other states or territories, transport by ambulance will typically result in a fee being charged. This would also apply to residents of Queensland and Tasmania who require ambulance transport in another state or territory.

As many activities undertaken by bushwalkers often occur in remote areas, ambulance transport following an injury or illness could involve long distances resulting in a fee amounting to many thousands of dollars.

Under the ‘Payment of non-Medicare Medical Expenses’ provisions of the Personal Accident policy, the cost of ambulance travel following an injury while engaged in an approved activity can be claimed. However, under the policy compensation for such benefits is limited to 80% of expenses incurred to a maximum of $3,000, and therefore the cost of ambulance transport would likely exceed this limit, especially if other non-Medicare medical costs are to be claimed.

Some private health insurance funds also provide cover for ambulance transport, however typically these include exclusions and/or caps on the amounts payable. Before relying on such cover, confirm that it provides sufficient cover should ambulance transport be required while on a bushwalk.

Bushwalking Australia strongly recommends that:

  1. Bushwalkers in NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, NT and the ACT take out ambulance service membership in their home state. Membership will also provide cover while interstate.
  2. Bushwalkers from Tasmania or Queensland visiting and walking in the other states and territories should consider travel insurance that covers ambulance transport.
  3. You check the web site of your state ambulance service for comprehensive information on this topic."

See also, our Training and Safety FAQs (members only).